Friday, February 11, 2011

Can Local Email Strategy Lose Money?


How many e-mails do you get everyday that you delete without ever reading? If you’re like most people, it’s a lot. Just the other day I got an e-mail from a local wine shop I love and deleted it without a second thought.

I love the shop and their wines. I even know the owners and like them. But I signed up for their mailing list, and I NEVER read their e-mails.

And here’s why…
They only send me two types of message: 1) a sale announcement and 2) a special event announcement.

That’s it.

Now, I’m neither a price-shopper nor a special events kind of guy, but beyond that, I don’t open their e-mail because I know exactly what to expect.

So why bother?
Translate this to your business and here’s the lesson.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t use e-mail to promote your sales and special events. You should. And if you have a responsive e-mail list, you can make a lot of money doing it.

But to get a responsive list, you have to send a variety of e-mails that a) appeal to all your customers and clients and b) keep ‘em guessing what you’ve got for them that day.

If your customers and clients think they know what you have to say or think it isn’t for them, they’ll never open your e-mails.

So back to the wine shop, what messages could they send to mix things up?
How about “The best South American wine under $30.”
Or “5 perfect wines to pair with your summer grilling.”
Or “You won’t believe the shipment we got today…”
Or even, “The most amazing thing just happened!”

I’d *never* be able to resist opening their e-mails for stories like these. And more than that, this content would pull me into their store and get me spending.
So the big local e-mail marketing DON’T?

Don’t be a one-trick pony.
Mix up your e-mails so that they cut through the clutter and your customers pay attention to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment